Sunday 27 March 2011

Blonde girls get more chicken...




What a weird heading to a blog entry? Mmmh, maybe - but it's a cheap way to launch directly into my trip to Berlin&Paris : ) So the previously-announced secret mission started off on a Friday afternoon and was almost brought to a sudden, unspectacular and premature end before it had even begun...I was standing at the train station with my backpack and an additional handbag full of excitement and the bloody train just wouldn't come...I had to wait for 70 agonizing minutes. When the train finally decided to show up I was running so late that I had to jump into a cab as soon as I hit Montparnasse. The drive to Gare de l'Est was highly entertaining though (almost worth missing a train for). My cab driver sang loudly&unharmoniously , talked to himself and had the most creative approach to swearing I have ever anticipated. Good thing I only understood half of it or I would have turned proper red. At the train station I had to explain that the pre-booked ticket for the overnight-train to Berlin never made it to my postal address...and had to flog over my credit card to buy a new one. I was the last person that finally jumped on the train - so determined to go to Berlin that I had probably even jumped in front of it if that had stopped it from moving. Out of breath and red-faced I got to the cabin where a small bed was awaiting my tired (and probably by then rather smelly) feet, I thought...But really, the first thing I got was the rather unimpressed and borderline disapproving looks of a couple, both probably around my age. Great: me and these 2 lovebirds for a whole night in a cozy sleeper train. I was equally thrilled. Since it was clear that I was unwanted I grabbed my book and excused myself. This almost led to the next catastrophe - going to Berlin has never seemed so impossible before...I was reading peacefully when the train conductor came to check our tickets and took the opportunity to tell me that I was actually on my way to Hamburg...well, that part of the train was anyways. So I jumped up, ran all the way back to the love nest and told the couple that I had made a big mistake and would never leave them ever again. At least not before we would stand on Berlin soil.

From that moment onwards it was smooth sailing though and I found myself in the lobby of the Holiday Inn, Berlin Mitte the next day...But why was I there again?! Well, enough secrecy - I was there to work as a compere at an event that was put together by an ad agency that a friend of mine works for. The client was Pokemon and the launch of 150 new characters was aimed to make a splash with the help of a massive, interactive light projection. My role was to keep the people in the queue entertained as well as reading out the scores of the people that were having a go at the new game that had been especially designed for the day. It was really good fun - even though the the first 30 minutes were agonizing. The sun hadn't gone down yet and the light projection wasn't visible. So I was given the instruction to "just talk"...without anything of interest happening around me. Once I recovered from a small stroke of inhibition, I started not only talking - but to my own amazement - I started chanting!!! In retrospect this was probably the aftermath of working as a camp counselor in the States in 2008. But yeah, there I was - me and my microphone - chanting at the sun to please set quickly so we could start playing. Luckily, everybody failed to notice my state of temporary insanity - instead lots of people merely joined in. The kids loved it. We actually managed to make enough noise to secure a sufficient number of resident complaints for the police to come as well as the office for public order. The marketing manager from Pokemon got in touch with me a few days later to thank me for drumming up so much business and keeping people patient (some had to queue for 1,5 hours). His exact words were: "Well done in getting so many complaints from the local residents!" In all other circumstances that would be the most peculiar thing to say - but this was actually a compliment and not an ironic statement : ) It even looks as if I will be moderating the Pokemon Championship in Cologne in a few months time...Will leave out the chanting bit though - fingers crossed I won't depend on the sun again to get the right lighting conditions.

I was really relieved that everything had worked out so well. I might have lost a little bit of my dignity that day - but my real concern had been that I would suck so much at this that my friend would loose her job. Okay, that's a bit melodramatic - I really didn't want to embarrass her in front of her client and work colleagues though : )

The next day we spent strolling around Berlin - without effort or purpose. I munched away on an ice cream and couldn't believe my luck. A month ago it was still snowing in Berlin, but that day it was perfect sunshine and a no-jacket day.

After another night on the train - this time unfortunately no couple to annoy - I was back in Paris. This time not in a rush, but with the whole day in front of me. I wandered around, took lots of pictures. Backpack, camera in one hand, map in the other hand and the word "tourist" written across my forehead. I was eagerly waiting for some rude Parisians to bump into me-but it just didn't happen. Instead they simply kicked this little stereotype's ass...For starters, they just wouldn't allow me to loose my map even though I seemed determined. On several occasions I would put the map to the side and take pictures, wandering off completely oblivious to the fact that I had left my sense of direction behind. And every single time -to my amazement-someone would run after me and stuff it right back into my hand. They made it impossible for me to get lost. I was still thinking that they were probably acting in their own self-interest...since this way I had no excuse to bother anyone by asking for directions ; ) But this didn't remain the only gesture of kindness...Every time I sat down to have a meal, somebody would start chatting to me, asking me where I was from, what my plans were etc. One waiter went as far as to take my plate away mid-chew, only to return with an extra portion of chicken on top of my salad. Reserved? Arrogant? Rude? Nope - not the Parisians I had the pleasure of meeting. I probably shouldn't ever return to Paris - after this experience, it can only go downhill : )

Back in Poitiers things were as always - just better. The happychappy Poitiers bubble seems an even happier place. Or maybe it's not the bubble, but me in it. By now I genuinely love the people from my course I hang out with. They make me laugh all the time, make me think differently, make me wanna cuddle them, make me not want to ever stop living this student life in this lovely, sleepy town where I spent half my days in the park. Of course there's deadlines and uni work and a few worries and also some annoying stuff. But mostly I am enjoying to be around people that are kind to me, in a place where nobody ever feels lost or alone.

That was the case till Friday anyways - since then literally everyone has deserted me. Not without keeping tabs on me though. I haven't been looked after this well for ages. So I'm using this week-long break to catch up on my reading as well as meeting some new people. Today I met the Couchsurfing peeps and we drove to Saint Savin. What a cheerful bunch...determined to enjoy the moment whatever life throws at them. I was especially impressed by Cedric who had become half-blind in a near-fatal accident and got out of it with a new thirst for life. Isabella was similarly inspiring. Her husband that she loved so deeply had left her for another woman recently. Juggling her job and two kids during the week and spending the weekends by herself whilst her daughter and son stayed with their father didn't seem to be her dream scenario. Yet, she was positive, chatty, bright and smiley. I laughed a lot today and really appreciated that even though I was the only non-French, everyone spoke in English.

Sascha&Lisa will come to visit this week...I am really excited about it and very much hope that the long drive from Germany will be a worthwhile effort in their view. We already have a few things planned...but more of that in a little while : )

No comments:

Post a Comment